What is it with me and muffins this week?
Yesterday I had some extra time, and I also had no bread of any sort to go with our eggs for breakfast.
The only kinds of flour I had left in the pantry were brown rice and chickpea, so I did a little searching online to see if I could find something tasty.
I found this great recipe for vegan chickpea banana chocolate muffins. She had veganized a recipe from another site, and also muffinified it. (Her word- I like it!)
So I un-veganized it, but kept the muffin idea.
They turned out delicious-so moist and chocolatey. My 22 month old was gingerly walking around with one singing, “Hap-Bir-Day-To-Yew” so I’m pretty sure he thought it was a cupcake. Yep- they were pretty sweet.
The chickpea flour is great because it is high in protein, iron and folate, and is naturally gluten-free.
Banana Chocolate Chickpea Muffins
3/4 cup sugar
7 tbsp coconut oil, melted
2 bananas, mashed
2 tbsp sour cream
1+1/2 cups chickpea flour (garbanzo bean flour is the same thing)
4 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 175°C/350°F.
- Whisk the egg and sugar until fluffy before adding the coconut oil, sour cream and mashed bananas. Stir until completely combined. I used the electric mixer to make sure all the banana was totally blended.
- Sift flour, cocoa powder and baking powder into the batter and stir until completely mixed. (My four year old loves sifting and the younger one loves stirring- no need to worry about over mixing, since it’s gluten free flour.)
- Fill greased/lined muffin cups 2/3 full- this will make 12 muffins that barely come up over the edge of the cups, but i prefer it that way- a better serving size for kids.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
2 thoughts on “Banana Chocolate Chickpea Muffins”
Glad to hear they were such a hit. I agree, they could totally pass for cupcakes if you frosted them. Thanks for the link back – have a great day!
I actually think I might use these for my baby’s 2nd bday party! Thanks again Angela- you’re a great vegan resource.