Since the news was published that 900+ babies lives could be saved per year I’ve spoken to many moms about how they tried to breastfeed and couldn’t do it. Then I found these eye-opening stats at Busy Moms Breastfeed:
- Prenatal Breastfeeding Education Is The Key To Avoiding Most Breastfeeding Challenges
- 72% of women who planned to breastfeed for at least 6 months have weaned before their babies are 6 weeks old.
- Most early breastfeeding difficulties can be avoided. These include; sore nipples, engorgement, mastitis, thrush, jaundice, and slow infant weight gain.
- Crying is a late sign of hunger.By the time your baby cries you have missed as many as 5 feeding cues letting you know that your baby is hungry.
- 80% of the immune system is located in the digestive tract. Breast milk coats the lining of your baby’s digestive track protecting it from harmful microbes. Human milk also has special growth factors that will help your baby’s immune system mature.
- Most first time mothers attend fewer than 2 hours of breastfeeding education classes
“Breastfeeding should be continued for at least the first year of life.” -American Academy of Pediatrics
To find the support you need, visit La Leche League International for a list of classes and lactation consultants in your area.