There is a lot of prep going on over here as we anticipate baby number 3’s arrival.
Some say pack your hospital bag by 35 weeks and have it in the car…I am almost 39 weeks, am packing it now and want to share what I am packing.
Here are my absolute must haves for the hospital bag.
- Music player- we use the jawbone jam box with my favorite music on it to play during labor.
- Inflated birth ball- if you’re planning on a natural delivery these are great to rock on, get in a comfortable position, etc.
- Lip balm. You know me? You know I’m addicted to always covering my lips in lip balm, and hospitals and labor have a habit of drying you out so pack some now.
- Hair bands. I have a new fresh pack so I know there will be no way I will go without. You will want your hair back during labor.
- Essential oils (I used lavender) to breathe in for the calming properties.
- Lollipops or hard candy- it’s nice to have something other than ice chips to suck on during labor
- Rescue Remedy- this worked to keep me calm and peaceful while I was in labor with baby #2.
- Gum and mints
- Refillable water bottle so you don’t have to drink out of plastic water bottles and be exposed to xenoestrogens.
- Dark colored nightgown and robe for after delivery. Dark colored so you don’t have to worry about blood showing if your pad leaks. Nightgown should have easy access for baby to nurse.
- Breast pads and nursing bra
- Comfy Socks to keep your feet warm
- Slippers or flip flops to walk around your hospital room
- Baby wash if you’d like to use a natural and organic kind instead of the one the hospital provides. Or better yet, avoid the bath altogether!
- Non-toxic diapers by Honest.com if you’d prefer not use the ones the hospital supplies
- Organic cotton squares and Organic/non-toxic baby oil. We use these as wipes and to get that first sticky meconium off of baby’s bottom
- Nursing pillow- this is my hands down favorite one. I’ve tried them all, but the Blessed Nest is the best.
- Journal and pens
- Phone charger
- Selfie stick? hey, why not.
- Snacks- trail mix, nutrition bars, for middle of the night cravings.
- Change and small bills for the vending machine
- Swaddle blanket
- Hair dryer, shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, makeup, other toiletries
- Going home outfit for baby
- Going home outfit for you
- An extra bag- the hospital give you tons of diapers and wipes, pads, disposable undies, etc. and it’s nice to have the extra room. I also took home a few packages of the bed pads. They are so convenient!
Something else to consider-
A string of white Christmas lights. That way you don’t have to turn the harsh hospital lights on and off, and can use the warm peaceful light the whole time.
Things you probably won’t need:
Underwear- the hospital gives you these amazing stretchy disposable undies
Pads- unless you want organic cotton ones, then bring your own
Towel- yes, the hospital towels are thin and not super soft, but I would so much rather just leave everything behind after showering for the first time post baby
That’s my must have list!
Continue reading What To Pack in Your Hospital Bag