I got this recipe from a friend of mine, Emily Rosen who is the wellness and nutrition director for a weight loss camp for children and the executive chef at a retreat center in Western Massachusetts. It is a crowd favorite, even amongst meat eaters and toddlers!
Black Bean Sweet Potato Burgers:
• 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
• 1 small onion, small dice
• 4 cloves garlic, pressed
• 2 tablespoons diced spicy pepper (like jalapenos)
• 1 tablespoon ground cumin
• 2 (14.5 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
• salt and black pepper to taste
• 2 cups grated raw sweet potato
• 1 egg, lightly beaten
• 1/2 cup plain dried bread crumbs
1. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Cook onions until softened, about 1 minute. Stir in garlic, 2 diced jalapenos, and cumin; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
2. Transfer contents of skillet to a large bowl. Stir in black beans, and mash with a fork. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix in sweet potatoes, egg, and bread crumbs. Use medium ice cream scoop to shape them into even portions, than flatten into patties.
Place bean patties on sprayed parchment paper on baking sheet and bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
They are SO good…
Here is a link for more of her recipes!
2 thoughts on “Sweet Potato Black Bean Burgers”
These are the most amazing Sweet Potato Black Bean Burgers! Since this recipe makes quite a few another good option is to save a little and make hash browns for breakfast. I put a little coconut oil in our cast iron skillet and they cook up perfectly.
This was delicious. I think it was my first veggie burger, ever. So, I wasn’t quite sure what the consistency was supposed to be. I really like the mix of sweet and spicy. Will cook again for sure!