It happens all the time-
I throw something together for dinner with the ingredients I have on hand, and then am amazed how good it actually turns out, and thrilled with how much my kids love it.
Here is a recipe for what I made tonight:
Two Bean Soup
Ingredients: (I recommend organic EVERYTHING)
1 tbsp. Olive Oil
1 small onion, chopped
3 carrots, sliced
3 potatoes, sliced and quartered
3 cups water
40 ounces chicken broth*
1 tsp. dried oregano
2 tsps. dried basil
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups cooked pinto beans
2 cups cooked navy beans
5 stalks Swiss chard, thick ribs removed and leaves chopped (about 4 cups)
1. Sautee the onion in olive oil for about 6 minutes.
2. Add chopped carrots and potatoes and sautee for about 2 or 3 more minutes.
3. Add water, broth, oregano, basil and garlic and bring to a boil
4. Turn down to simmer until vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
5. Add beans and chopped Swiss Chard and simmer 2 or 3 more minutes, until heated through.
Serve and enjoy!
Adults and children who don’t mind spice might want to add a little pepper.
It is delicious as-is, but also good with a little grated cheese on top.
*Why the unconventional amount? I swear by Better Than Bouillon and it calls for 1 teaspoon to 8 ounces of water. So, I used 5 teaspoons and 40 ounces of water.